Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Stress

About a week ago I looked at an article on holiday stress.  I fit 9 out of the 10 symptoms for holiday stress.  Of course I scoffed at it..."Thats not holiday stress.  That's JOB stress."

I think now I've phased into being holiday stressed.  I'm vascillating between unmotivated and motivated and idea-less and random amazing ideas.  My sleep schedule is so messed up I have to check my phone to see if its AM or PM.  I can't seem to find any ideas or inspiration. 

At one point I was starting to panic, which is not good.  I tried to ask myself, "Why am I panicking about something silly?".  Unfortunately, having conversations with yourself doesn't always mean you'll get an answer.  And telling myself that my panic was unjustified was in no way a relief. 

I tried to step back and take a deep breath.  That didn't work.  So instead, I plowed ahead with one project I knew would take me a little less than forever...one that I didn't even know how it would turn out if it actually worked out.  (This was one of my random brilliant ideas that came to me at work when I was daydreaming about not being at work).  Well, so far so good.  Of course, its currently drying on a hanger in my bathtub, so after that, we'll see.  That gave me enough motivation to keep plugging away...  So then I made something yesterday...or was it last night?  This morning?  Anyways, I made something within the last 24 hours that I made just for fun.  Its a Christmas present, but I needed to make something cool.  That helped.

I also ended up just making a purchase at fabric.com.  That takes care of several more people.  The stress in this instance will be whether I receive the fabric in time....the one time I'm willing to pay for express shipping and they don't offer it.  What in the world. 

So, I'm down to 3 people I'm completely idea-less for.  I mean, completely without any possible ideas.  But since spending some money tonight seems to have helped maybe I'll go spend some tomorrow too.

And really, there is no reason for me to be stressed.  So what if I win "the world's worst aunt because she couldn't figure out what to make so she bought something instead" award?  That wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen.  And last year I sent my best friend's Christmas present out in February I think it was.  Panic and anxiety pay no attention to logic, though.  I'll just have to muddle through it.   Oh, and cross my fingers that the USPS is good to me. 

Can you guess what it is?

















There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want. ~ Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes

1 comment:

  1. Just having you home is a present enough for us!!! You don't have to bring anything!

    Oh, and I'd always win the award for the aunt who bought something instead of making something.

    ReplyDelete