![]() |
| Bonnie (or Charlie) and Clyde |
Raising pigs was fun. They grow fast.
When socialized, they're kinda loveable. In a weird, smelly, bristle-y way.
They will eat ANYTHING.
We started feeding our pigs garden scraps from the beginning. They loved it. That morphed into old apples, molasses, and other treats when the garden was clear.
I think they grew every day. 30 pounds quickly morphed into 200 pounds (each!).
But then came the fateful day that I dreaded. I knew from the very beginning that these pigs were food. I tried not to get attached, but they're animals. Of course I did. Even after one at this size bit me in the butt while I was in their pen. (GRAPHIC IMAGES BELOW...DO NOT SCROLL IF YOU DON'T WANT TO).
The pig knock-down stunk. No matter how humane, it was still sad. I cried when they were shot and taken over to where they got butchered.
I watched the butchering. Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. There were some parts that I had to turn my head, but overall I did okay.
All I could do was just keep thanking them for what they gave to us and remember that we gave them the best 5 1/2 months they could possibly get.
The farm seems strangely empty without them now.
The greatest ethical test that we're ever going to face is the treatment of those at our mercy.
~ Lyn White















No comments:
Post a Comment