Sunday, June 1, 2014

A tour of the garden and probably other updates

As I was guilted for not blogging lately...

After signing into my account, I realized it had been 2 months since last blogging.  Whoops.  Other than busyness, my only excuse is that I run my internet through my phone, and it's impossibly slow.  Already it's taken me about 10 minutes to get to my blogging screen.

So, without further ado....let's take a walk through the garden!

Front:

Front of garden.  Hello cow skulls!
For some reason I don't have a full front view of the garden on my phone.  My bad.  On either side of the front gate there are long beds surrounded by stone.  In the front beds we have blueberries, rhubarb, multiple herbs, strawberries, and some random bulb flowers like tulips and gladioli.  This picture is actually old, as yesterday we painted 2 grain feeders and affixed them halfway up the trellis so my sweet peas could grow out of them and up the rails.  The sweet peas I have planted in the ground aren't big enough yet to start climbing.

Garden beds:

Inside the garden are 6 raised beds of varying sizes:

Front bed:  zucchini on the left, cucumber in the bottom right, and the start of one type of carrots in the top right.
Back bed:  cauliflower, artichokes, 2nd type of carrots on the right.  

Pole beans!

Fava beans in the front (the taller ones we started in the greenhouse several weeks ago, the ones in front we planted about a week before we left for vacation).  In the back is corn.

Pumpkins!  In the front, smaller sugar pumpkins.  In the back, traditional jack-o-lantern sized pumpkins.
Edamame in the front (the taller stuff is like the fava beans - we planted in greenhouse awhile ago), and butternut squash in the back.
 Greenhouse:

This is just a sample of things in the greenhouse.  Just yesterday I planted 2 small flats of flowers to hopefully plant around the yard and in pots.  And for some reason I have no pics on my phone of the front of the greenhouse, which is my favorite thing to look at.

Two tubs of pickling cucumbers.  Yup.  Can't wait for pickles!  Also, it's amazing the difference between the cucumbers grown outside and the ones in the greenhouse.  The greenhouse ones are a lot bigger.

Tomatoes and one pepper plant (on the right).

A small sampling of more pepper plants.  There's over 15 tubs of multiple kinds of peppers planted.
And that is it for now.  I should probably take more and better pictures.

Here's a good picture to leave you with.....


Be a fountain, not a drain.
~ Rex Hudler

2 comments: