But the good news is, I can finally blog without taking 10 minutes to sign on to blogger, and 20 minutes with my fingers crossed trying to upload a picture. Does this mean I'll blog more? I'll try. I haven't been using my computer at all because there's very little you can do on a computer any more without internet. So, maybe habits will change.
Either way, I have about 732 pictures to show you, but I'll pare it down. If possible.
CHICKENS
We bought 8 jersey giants (they get pretty massive - can't put roosters with regular non-jersey hens because they'll crush them), and later 6 more chicks. We're a little disappointed as 5 of the 8 jerseys appear to be roosters (really bad odds!), but only 1 or 2 of the other 6 appear to be roosters. We'll have to wait a bit more and see. This was when they were young and cute and didn't need their water tank filled every 2 days. 
CEDAR SKINNING
We scored a ton of free cedar logs from one of Jonathan's friends months ago. We're working through skinning them all. I haven't taken any pictures lately but we have about 3/4 of them done. Now that it's not so wicked hot out I can finish off the rest.
THE SHOP
We had a huge space cleared...same friend came with an excavator and took a couple days to clear it. We were left with over 40 usable-for-firewood trees, which took weeks to slowly go through them, cut them into 8 foot lengths, and pile them somewhere that wasn't in the middle of the driveway. It's hard for anyone to comprehend how many logs that it is and how much work it is until you do it or until you've done it. People want to know what I do now that I don't go to the gym. They have no idea.
VISITORS
Erin and Andre/Margaret all came to visit!!! I went to glass beach with all of them.

Oh yeah....
I celebrated this. I'm now officially in that ugly classification of "mid-30s".
THE GARDEN
The garden absolutely bloomed. We had an amazingly hot summer, paired with faithful watering. These are just a few samples.![]() |
| Pole beans |
![]() |
| One batch of carrots - artichokes behind. |
![]() |
| A view of most of the garden. Zucchini, cucumbers, edamame, favas, pumpkins, beans, etc. |
![]() |
| Right side of garden and greenhouse. |
The garden is now looking a little sad and pathetic. We're harvesting like crazy, but of course all those leaves that once loved the sun are drying out. Soon it'll be time to rip everything out and prepare for winter and next year's garden.
VEGETABLES AND CANNING
We've been freezing and canning and basically preparing vegetables any way we can figure out. Yeah, eating some too. Some days I think I'll turn into a carrot. Also, taking more pictures of vegetables than an instagram food reviewer. I'll spare you most.
So far we've canned over 90 pounds of cucumber (we had to throw about 20 pounds out because of a glitch in the "long fermented pickle" process), processed over 8 batches of dilly beans (we threw carrots into that process too), canned or frozen over 40 pounds of carrots, frozen or eaten or given away over 40 zucchinis, and also in the midst made several batches of jalapeno jelly and garlic jelly. Oh, and relish. Cucumber, zucchini relish. Throw canning tomato sauce in there too.
Oh, and not to forget - harvested raspberries and strawberries when we can. I totally missed blackberry season (they grow wild around here). Probably because I was too busy picking raspberries.
THE PIGS
We got a boy (Clyde) pig and a girl (Charlie) pig. We'll restock the freezer in February sometime. I'll let you know how I feel about it then. Pigs are pretty gross, really. They're not soft at all, which I always imagined they would be. They're bristly. But they're social and love to be scratched while they bite your shoes.

EVERYTHING ELSE
![]() |
| Yeah, this happened to my car just as I was leaving work on my Friday. I threw a cylinder (spelling?). But, it's fixed for now. 183,000 miles and counting. Go Josie, go! |
![]() |
| We bought an RTV. It's awesome. And yes, sometimes we just kick around in it. |
![]() |
| We also grew sunflowers, which are now in the process of drying out in the greenhouse. We're going to try and roast sunflower seeds. |
![]() |
| We bought a pool. Did I mention it was crazy hot this summer? |
![]() |
| Went to Silverwood Amusement Park. I love roller coasters, but roller coasters no longer love me. Must be a mid 30s thing. |
![]() |
| First pumpkin harvest. Sugar pumpkins didn't grow as big as we liked - I think too many were growing. But it's a nice haul..... |
![]() |
| I know it's early, but we couldn't wait. |
![]() |
| Oh yeah, attended an ACES training class to get another certification for HAM Radio. Can't remember what the certification is for, but I actually learned a lot. I also learned I want to be a skywarn volunteer. Look it up here. Yup, I'm a nerd. |
Oh, I just realized I didn't post any pictures of Atticus. Mostly that's because he's now allowed outside with no leash and has been LOVING it. It's going a lot better than I thought it would. But he's been so busy going back to his instincts, he doesn't hang around a lot unless he needs something to eat or drink.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I ended up where I needed to be.
~ Douglas Adams


























No comments:
Post a Comment