Monday, March 18, 2013

The weekend in color

First, I've been listening to the Decemberists a lot recently.  I thought that was ironic, seeing as they were just promoted by the Schrute family on a recent episode of The Office.  So feel free to listen to this song as you read the rest of this post.  It'll be like we're listening together.




Here are some weekend highlights...

Met up with my friend Michelle on Saturday.  I haven't seen her since Christmastime.  It's funny how time gets away, especially when something is always getting in the way of making plans.  We ate at a fancy-type bistro.  In the middle of our lunch, someone came through the restaurant with a huge container of mini-cupcakes (probably for the St Paddy's celebration that night).  We inquired of our waiter the possibility of getting a mini-cupcake for dessert.  Although he had  been a little aloof and snobby the entire time we were there, he brought us out 4 mini-cupcakes.  For FREE.  What a guy.


On Sunday, I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity at the Kitsap County Home Show (at the local fairgrounds).  They were having a building supply surplus sale, and on Sunday everything was half price.  

To be honest, it was one of the more interesting experiences of late.  Not just interacting with the public in a face-to-face kinda way (I almost miss that), but I could joke around with people and just wander.  To be even more honest, the volunteer program is highly un-organized, but it all worked out.  

I know I don't talk about men on here very often, but I have to tell you a story.  I told my friend Jermaine about it this morning, and he laughed for about 20 minute straight.  

So....I'm wandering around warehouse sale and someone asks if he can get a better deal on a bunch of air filters.  My response?  "Let me see if I can find someone who has been on the job longer than 30 minutes to help you."

So the guy ends up getting a good deal.  I pull out my little receipt book to write him a receipt.  I ask his name (cause I'm supposed to put it on the receipt, then put it on a "sold" slip and put that on the air filters.  That's how complicated this job was.)  He joked that he wasn't going to give it to me, so I just wrote "anonymous" on the receipt.  That's what I do at work, I thought nothing of it.  Well, that started a conversation, blah blah blah.  He walked around a bunch more and I wandered in search of more people I could write receipts for.  Masking-taping "sold" slips to things is pretty fun.  Weirdly fun.  

Anyways, Mr. Anonymous, who is at least old enough to be my father, finds me later to get his receipt slip cause he's done looking at things.  He asks my name, which I give him, and then he says his name is Dave.  So, I pulled out my receipt book and write "Dave" next to "Anonymous".

Dave says, "Do you need my number, too?"

Me:  "No, not necessary."

Dave:  "Well, can I have yours then?"

Me:  *mortified*  "Um....no?"

There was no way of getting out of that conversation quickly, so I endured 5 more minutes of that before I was rescued by someone who needed help.  

I hope you all find that funny because I wasn't going to tell you.


A high-school acquaintance who I actually talk to a lot on Facebook came to Seattle for the weekend.  I told her to look me up, so Sunday night, she and her husband came over to this side of the water and we went out for drinks and to catch up.  I was a little apprehensive about it, just because you know, high school and all, but the 3 hours we spent together we talked the entire time.  We actually have quite a few things in common.  I really enjoyed myself, and am glad I didn't pass up the opportunity to see her.

We went to my recent favorite place so I could eat a soft pretzel and hard cider.  
This morning (Monday) I woke up late morning and was just into about the second half of my cup of coffee when my friend texted.  Apparently he just bought a car last week and some engine light went on (never buy a Mazda!!!) so he brought it in to be serviced and had no ride and nothing to do while he waited.  Enter me, who lives just down the road.  We ended up coming back to my place and drinking coffee and chatting and venting for the next 4 hours.  I called it super-helpful therapy.

I consider him one of my very few work friends (if I introduced him to you, I'd call him a friend and not a coworker.  That's kind of a big deal in my personal world bubble.)  Of course by the end of the four hours I had drank so much coffee I was itchy.  Also probably because I only had a few hours to cook my week's worth of food before I went to the gym.

Paleo-friendly fudge.  Really simple to make.  Not too bad to eat, either.  I was able to use my date syrup as well (to replace the honey).  Needs a little something more though.  Salt, maybe?  

These originally were to be "pumpkin cinnamon rolls", but due to many reasons, I have changed them to "protein pumpkin rolls".  Or "another way to use my protein powder".  See recipe, below.
As usual, I have altered a recipe based on available ingredients in my kitchen.  Plus, who buys cinnamon roll flavored protein powder?  Definitely not this girl....

I used 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, 1 scoop RAW protein powder, 2 Tbsp flour, 1 egg, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, and a couple dashes of cinnamon.  I baked it according to the recipe.  Makes 4.  (I ate one, then took the picture.)

Not too bad.  Pretty much covers up the taste of the protein powder.

Afterwards I made a big baking dish of cut up tiny potatoes (you know, those little red and purple ones), with 3 strips of bacon and baked it all for 45 minutes at 375.  I had to force myself to stop eating the potatoes when they were done so I'd at least have some for work tomorrow.  I didn't even eat the bacon...I gave that to Atticus.  (win/win!).  

And there you have it.  More than you ever wanted to know about me.

Back to graveyard shift tomorrow.  4 hours of it by myself.

I am enough.
I am full of sparkle & compassion.
I genuinely want to make the world a better place.
I love hard.
I practice kindness.
I am not afraid of the truth.
I am loyal, adventurous, supportive, and surprising.
I am a woman.
I am enough.
I make mistakes, but I own them and learn from them.
Sometimes I make a lot of mistakes.
~ Molly Mahar

3 comments:

  1. In case I haven't told you lately... You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. J and I had a great laugh over that story. We were sitting and talking and I kept giggling about it. The story was funny but the way you told it was funnier. J keeps saying "um, no?" I think that will be his go-to line for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a post . . . enjoyed it thoroughly . . . and Dave - you tried. And if you are that old, then you were 30 when she was born - end of sentence!

    ReplyDelete