Saturday, October 23, 2010

A flower rug

I saw this idea, and thought it would be cool to make my brother, Jonathan, a rug like that.

So I hunted through Goodwill, and in very short order, found a sheet:






















Perfect.

What was not perfect was the next 10-odd hours of rug making process.  Cutting into strips and braiding it was okay - that just took watching The Office for awhile.  Not a hardship.  The problem came when I first went to sew the rug down.  I broke 7 needles (I think that was the final count).  And when I finally pulled the rug away from the machine, it looked like a giant bowl.  I was ready to throw the whole thing out.  Instead, I ripped up what can only be described as a ghastly amount of thread, pinned the rug together this time, and re-sewed.


Its still a little curvy but it is no longer a big bowl.

And upclose...






















Jonathan called this morning and said something to the effect of "Thanks for my batman flower rug".  Hmmm...whoops.  Didn't mean for it to resemble a flower, but now that I look at it...

Oh, yeah, and here's his card.  This is getting to be my favorite part of any project - making a card from the leftover scraps.
















Happy belated birthday, brother!

Life is intrinsically, well, boring and dangerous at the same time. At any given moment the floor may open up. Of course, it almost never does; that's what makes it so boring. ~ Edward Gorey

1 comment:

  1. Loving the cards!

    And LOOVING Eden's bag...we are amazed!!!

    ReplyDelete