Wednesday night I rushed home after a 12 hour shift, let Atticus outside, and went back to my bedroom to change out of my work clothes. While I'm back there I heard a really loud "BANG". I was pretty sure the sound was somewhere in the house, and I eliminated basically everything I owned making that sound because of the actual sound. You know how you hear something fall or hear something break and you just KNOW what it is based on the sound? Well, I could tell you I DIDN'T know what it was based on the sound. I knew it came from inside the house somewhere, but I couldn't even pinpoint where. I walked from room to room looking for possible culprits. Nothing. I looked outside with Atticus. Nothing.
Oh well, I shrugged to myself. I'll figure it out later. I had to leave to go meet up with someone. I go out to the garage (I don't store my car in the garage - I'd have to concentrate too much on not hitting anything, its pretty small - but I do leave and enter through my garage just because I like to.) Anyways, I hit the garage door button, and I hear something akin to high tension wires snapping, and the whole garage door mechanism, from the bottom to top, starts making a really loud sound and shimmying very badly. There were 2 wires on either side that starting bouncing around too.
Huh. That would probably explain the bang I heard.
I got outside and hit the garage door button again. Haha...I really wish I would have recorded the door thumping to the ground. I mean, it didn't fall off the tracks or anything, but it made a decisive "thump" when it closed.
I called my landlord when I got to my meeting location. He answered the phone "now what?". In a nice way, of course. He came to check the door out after I got home that night, and to check on the water heater etc. The "BANG" I heard? That was the main spring at the top of the door breaking. I'm pretty sure it stayed contained in the door mechanism, but now that I know what it was, I wouldn't be surprised if I find a spring embedded in the wall somewhere.
Since then, I have talked to Mark (landlord) and Alex (Mark's brother who is going to fix the garage door) about 20 times. Seriously. Alex calls to make sure I'll be home so he can access the garage, then he calls for garage door information he didn't write down, then he gives me progress reports etc. Hes funny. The first time he came over he played more with Atticus than doing anything with the garage door. I don't mind...Atticus needs a friend. Someone other than me. Mark has actually been very proactive with my whole electric bill thing. Next week we have a guy coming over who is going to go through the house to see if he can find any major energy draws. I think he's also going to have the electric company check the meter to see if its broken. And, he's going to replace the heating elements in my hot water heater. I'm pretty sure I need a whole new hot water heater, but I'm willing to deal with the one I have now as long as its not the energy vampire.
I'm feeling a little better about life. Not in such a funk. I think it helps that I had a full and fun weekend.
Oh, and I started to run. Actually run. Tonight was my first night. Pretty sure I'm going to hate myself for it tomorrow, but guess what. I'm going running again tomorrow.
All because I signed up for a fun run.
:D
![]() |
| One of the many reasons why going out with girlfriends is fun...they're willing to split a huge brownie dessert! |
The only reason I would take up jogging is so that I could hear heavy breathing again.
~ Erma Bombeck


No comments:
Post a Comment