Friday, January 21, 2011

Relief

So I pretty much lazed away today.  I rewatched most of season 4 of Psych.  Watched the entire Season 1 of the Office (before you gasp, its only 6 episodes long).  Took some naps. Read some blogs.  (which by the way, there's nothing that will make you feel worse than doing nothing all day while reading about all these women who apparently juggle parenting, home schooling, crafting, an etsy shop, making dinner every night, while still having time to paint their house.  I mean, really.  Plus, these people are now decorated for Valentines day, and I still have yet to take down my Christmas decorations.)

I even surfed a bunch of sites looking for something to buy.  Yes, I was looking for a present for myself.  No, I didn't do anything to deserve it, but still.  A coworker told me about fleece sheets, so I was looking for a set for me.  Didn't end up getting them, but I surfed just about all of Anthropologie's website, am now watching about 100 ebay auctions, spent way too long on etsy, and skimmed through amazon, overstock.com, and a couple of other fabric and pattern sites.  Would you believe i found nothing to buy for myself?  At least nothing that shouted my name or "buy me" loud enough.  I think thats tied to the whole lack of motivation thing. 

I finally ended up making a purchase though - well, 2 purchases.  Two songs at the iTunes store....total purchase price: $1.98.  Big spender today.

My big accomplishment of the day was making Atticus biscuits.  The pumpkin biscuits I made him several months ago he didn't really like, but I found a new recipe in a different book, and after tweaking it a little, I have settled on something that he actually really likes. 

A stack of stars ready to be baked






















I just checked my email and saw that part 1 of my blood test results are in.  I know there is a lot wrong with HMOs etc, but computerized test results are not one of them. 

Let me take you on a quick side explanation of hyperthyroidism.  While there are several tests to be run for it, my maintenance blood tests are TSH (reflexive) and T3 total.  They work in tandem with one another - when one is high, the other is low, and vice versa. 

Average results from a normal person put TSH reults between 0.3 & 5.5.   Normal results from my TSH results are off the charts low.  Usually less than .0005:  as my doctor explained to me "they could keep testing your blood til they get exact results, but whats the point?  They could be at it for days, and the end result would be the same - your thyroid is hyperactive". 

Anyways, my most recent TSH results are 25.9.   Not off the charts quite yet, but still labeled "extremely high".  What a huge relief.  Yes, this means I'm battling a different type of problem (hypothyroidism), but FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY, I know why I've been feeling the way I have.  Not that I'm looking for something to blame, but it makes me feel better that biology is responsible for my laziness.  I'm still waiting for my T3 results, but I predict them to be low.  *crosses fingers*  

What does this mean?  Other than meds for the rest of my life....it means the radiation I got over a year ago finally worked.  It means I can finally go see the blasted eye doctor (long story).  It means I don't need more radiation.  And it means that hopefully I can get on some meds and feel back to normal again.  I really can't wait. 

And because I feel so relieved, here are some more pictures that make me smile....

The only valentines decorating I will do...























In case you didn't believe me, please notice my Christmas stocking hanging up in the background.  I took this picture today.  I should hang my head in shame...


Besides the noble art of getting things done, there is the noble art of leaving things undone. The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of non-essentials. ~ Lin Yutang

2 comments:

  1. Very clear explanation. I don't know how you function with that TSH. But I'll be waiting with bated breath to hear the rest of the results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just read this. It's interesting. And I'm proud to say I mostly understand it. So... now you're on Synthroid, right?

    ReplyDelete