Sunday, August 1, 2010

a waterlogged update

Back from vacation. I wish I could post vacation pictures, but I'm trying to stick to the "no kids faces on public webpages" rule. So, if you want to see them, I'll post them on facebook soon. Kind of an ironic sentence, but there you go.

So, let me paint you a picture. I had just taken a 6 hour plane ride, stuck behind some lady who stuck her seat back the whole way, preventing me from falling asleep. I went from being on a dayshift kind of schedule, falling asleep at nine pm EST, to a plane ride that ended at 1 am PST. I got my luggage and called my ride. Well, she was lost. Long story short, there was construction on I5, and she couldn't figure out how to get around it. So, instead of finding a gas station or staying PUT so I could consult a map and give her directions, she just kept driving aimlessly. *big sigh* But, she finally made it and I got home around 3:30 or 4am.

So, just imagine. I'm already grouchy, exhausted, and just want to sleep in my cleaned up apartment. (see previous post for water damage fiasco).

I step into my apartment and am immediately assailed by the strong smell of once-wet-now-dry carpet smell. Its strong enough I almost gag. I turn on the light and look around. No carpet pad. Half-finished patch job on ceilings and walls. Doors are still off my closet. The carpet in my bedroom is completely warped and now almost twice as large as it should be. Oh, and no smoke detectors.

Also, hanging up on the door to my apartment is a pre-fab note from Jen (apartment manager) saying my lease was almost up, and "Stop by the office so we can talk about lease renewal options!"

I was frustrated and angry. I went to bed with the covers half up my nose because the smell was absolutely overwhelming.

Next day. I notice this....



Can you see that green stuff? AKA mold?

Wonderful.

It was then that I decided to put a plan into motion. Of course, its Saturday, and no one who can actually do anything is in my apartment manager's office, but...did I already mention I had a plan?

I talked with Erin who was manning the office. Who was actually very nice. I layed out my complaint to her. I asked when it was going to be fixed. I didn't pretend it didn't matter, and I didn't say "its okay". I then pulled out what I consider a dangerous weapon. It may not seem like a big thing to you all, but I pretty much consider it to be one.

I asked Erin for Jen's (manager) boss's name and number. I told Erin I didn't appreciate how Jen was handling this situation or her attitude, and I was going up the line.

After Erin's goose-egg eyeballs went back into their sockets (haha...not really. But she WAS a little surprised I think), she suggested I talk to Jen before talking with Jen's boss. I said, no. Jen had plenty of time to fix this problem. I got the boss's name and personal cell number. I promised Erin I wouldn't bother the Boss til Monday.

Now, think about it. If you were Erin, what would you do???

Thats right.

Guess who I got a call from today? (Sunday) Guess who called apologizing profusely? Guess who promised things would be fixed Monday and Tuesday? Guess who promised my whole apartment's carpet would be shampooed on Wednesday?

Thats right. Jen called. She was overwhelming apologetic. She said she misunderstood me when I said I would be gone for a week. Apparently she thought that meant two weeks. She promised action and she apologized continually. She told me Erin had called her, mentioning I was upset. She told me I had every right to be upset. No mention of Jen's boss. No glimpse of the previous "just let it dry out" attitude. I told Jen I now had mold on my walls.

She's coming over herself tomorrow.

I'm wondering if now's a good time to renew that lease???

"i ain't no cinderella, i ain't waiting for no prince..." ~ NOFX

3 comments:

  1. i'm totally in suspense.... can't wait for the story to unfold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in total suspense too! I'm proud of you because I know that you tend to be very laid back ... just naturally you're that way. But you need to take this seriously for your sake and for Atticus too! So ... I agree with the tomato-hand friend .... You go girl!

    ReplyDelete