Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pure Joy

I think that discovery is one of the biggest perks of moving.  You find things you had given up for lost, you finally make the decision to keep or throw, and you learn to solve mysteries every day...

I have discovered:
- why that lightswitch by the front door formerly had tape on it.  That means don't turn it off.
- the pantry light in the kitchen shines through this random large vent into the living room - making it the best nightlight ever
- just because the living room is warm, doesn't mean the bedroom will be (I indulged myself yesterday at Tuesday Morning and bought my first set of flannel sheets for my bed and a new down-alternative blanket.  I had to.  I was freezing...)
- it doesn't matter which direction I have my front window shades...you can still see inside.  This doesn't give me great confidence for my bedroom shades (which I am remedying today by finally putting up my blackout curtains)
- why half the lightswitches here have this random sheet of plastic around them...fingerprints!
- the backyard light is a motion light that only turns on when you cross the sidewalk to the right side of the yard.  GOOD TO KNOW. 
- my bathtub is super slippery.  perhaps i shouldn't have cleaned it so well.

Other good things:
- I met my mailman.  It could have been the morning light, but I would SWEAR he looks exactly like John Malkovich.  With hair.
- Atticus is doing much better.  The move stressed him out...the boxes, the suitcases, etc.  When I was in my apartment, he never left my side.  I accidentally kicked him a couple of times (not knowing he was there), and he still didn't leave my side.  Now, he's still clingy, but less so.  He enjoys sniffing all the nooks and crannies of this place...especially the closets. 
- speaking of apartments, I got rid of mine yesterday.  Spent 6 hours on Monday scrubbing the crap out of that place to have the apartment manager look around for a minute and say "looks great, you shouldn't be charged for anything".  I wanted to demand she look in the oven and refrigerator and all the closets, but I didn't.  I'd rather get my deposit back than make the point the place was clean.
- most of the kitchen is clean and unpacked.  there are so many drawers in the kitchen that I think I'm going to load them with kitchen towels instead of putting them in the linen closet.  the pantry is so huge that all my food fit on one shelf before I decided to spread it to two shelves to make it look more even.  To answer your next question, there's 5 large shelves and a bunch of tiny shelves to one side. 

You know, I had absolutely no questions or qualms or misgivings about moving.  Yes, it was stressful and a lot of extra work and money, but I never thought to myself "am I doing the right thing?"  I KNEW I was doing the right thing.  Despite all that, its nice to see proof that what I did was the right thing.

I call this photo "Pure Joy".  I just wish you all could see his face better.


Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can. ~ Danny Kaye

No comments:

Post a Comment