Friday, July 20, 2012

Lavender Festival

Today was the Sequim Lavender Festival.  I finally figured after 9 years, I should probably go check it out.  It actually thunderstormed this morning (rare for around here), so I think that actually scared a lot of people away.  They estimate between 20,000-40,000 extra people influx the area, and there was barely anyone around.  No traffic problems, nothing.  It was great!

Part of the festival are the free farm tours.  Only about 10 of the local farms participate (there's A LOT of lavender farms), and of those we only went to three.  They each have various lavender growing and lavender things for sale, and all the farms are in different stages of growth, so some are a lot larger or smaller.  This was a typical farm though - rows and rows of lavender.  Smells delicious. 

MMMM....this was pretty good.  I had lavender mint chocolate chip.  Just a hint of lavender flavor.

The other part of the festival is the street fair.  It was actually really big, I was impressed.  And it was ALL craft vendors.  Amazing.

I bought some "you-cut" lavender.  I have it hanging up to dry in 4 separate bunches. 

I also bought succulents from this old hippie at the street fair.  He only grows northwest varieties.  I learned a lot in a short amount of time.  These are already planted in my sunroom.  I hope I don't kill them off. 

I also bought 4 different types of lavender.  I bought based on their qualities - I was looking for culinary lavender and lavender that can be made into oil.  As soon as I clear out my side flowerbed I'll plant these outside.

And my FIRST CARROT!!!  Yes, I should have left it in the ground longer, but I couldn't wait.  And yes, it IS purple.  I wanted something different. :) 

When we make a change, it's so easy to interpret our unsettledness as unhappiness, and our unhappiness as the result of having made the wrong decision.  Our mental and emotional states fluctuate madly when we make big changes in our lives, and some days we could tight-rope across Manhattan, and other days we are too weary to clean our teeth.  This is normal.  This is natural.  This is change.
~ Jeanette Winterson

No comments:

Post a Comment