Monday, July 18, 2011

The warrior dash and philosophical musings

Yesterday I competed in the warrior dash.  Not something I would normally do, but it sounded fun, and I've been trying to leave my comfort zone more and more.  There really was no reason NOT to do it.  Plus, 5 other friends signed up to do it as well, so I'd have my own built in cheer squad. 

I have never been an athletic person.  Junior high volleyball doesn't count.  I'm not coordinated, I'm short, and have never had the great desire to work out, or participate in group activities.  For the most part I've kept my figure with good genes, luck, and random bad choices.  That changed in the past several years, mostly because of good choices (life sucks), and the fact that I'm getting older.  While 31 (almost 32) isn't the end of the world, age wise, I've realized I need to work harder to stay looking the same. 

I started doing Zumba earlier this year, and about 2 months ago joined the YMCA and started going regularly (3-5 times a week).  While I haven't noticed any changes, I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing. 

Anyways, all this is a culmination to say I still was not prepared for the Warrior Dash.  I don't run, even if chased, and I especially don't run in farm fields (with the uneven ground), or in 6 inches of mucky mud.  Not only do I not want to run, I haven't figured out how to run and breathe normally at the same time.  So, about 1/4 mile into the 3.5 mile race, I started to walk.  And honestly, I was okay with that.  It gave me more time to focus on my other aches and pains. 

There were several obstacles (I think it was 10).  I was unable to do 2 - one because I couldn't get my muddy shoes to grip the 1 inch ledge to push myself up a wall, and the second I didn't do because I was actually afraid of breaking my leg.  Muddy shoes and tired leg muscles don't inspire confidence in my abilities to walk a 4 inch wide plank 5 feet above the ground.  But I was okay with that. Being 31 does have its advantages. 

But I did do every other obstacle:  Climbing over ledges and under barbed wire, crawling through mud under a dark tunnel, spider crawling across rope ladders, up ladders and down a plywood slide, climbing over old cars minus all their glass (and I didn't fall in the sunroof!), running through swinging tires, jumping over fire, and the worst one of all - crawling on my hands and knees through mucky mud that came up to my neck, trying to avoid the barbed wire above my head and the rocks that lined the bottom.  I think at the very end, after standing up through the mud, trying to walk in a foot of mud towards the finish line was the worst.  I was tired, my legs kept threatening to give out on me, and the ground was extremely uneven - I kept finding the holes.  I was, however, extremely glad i wore shorts with a drawstring (although with all the mud I'm not sure anyone would have noticed if I had lost my shorts). 

There were very few people who walked the race.  At first it kind of bothered me that I was unable to run or scale a 20 foot wall.  But actually, I've decided I'm not bothered at all.  Because I finished the race.  Me, who doesn't "do" athletic things, who last year at this time couldn't even do one girly pushup and didn't even own a pair of athletic sneakers (I'm up to 10 at a time and 2 pairs!), finished the hardest athletic challenge I've ever tried.  So suck it!, doubting voice in the back of my mind.  I finished that freaking race, and I'm actually pretty proud of myself. 

Our original team of 6 dwindled down to 2, for various reasons.  My friend Michelle stuck with me through the race, walking even though I knew she'd rather run, and being my personal cheerleader.  She also struck up conversations with people we met along the way, keeping me amused with her banter. 

Michelle and I....finished!  This is after we were hosed off by a firehose (they didn't provide showers.)  I had trouble breathing with all the cold water, so I basically just made sure my hands were clean. 

"Can I take a picture with you so I can send it to my mother?"  Haha...  that was my excuse to get my picture taken with a guy wearing fur underwear and a leather vest. 

My celebratory turkey leg!

See that white disk on my right shoe?  That was my race tracker, which I was supposed to turn in for a free beer.  After my hands were clean I didn't care about the beer enough to muddy them up again.  I still haven't decided if I'm going to try to save these shoes or just buy new ones.  Probably buy new ones.  I deserve it.

The celebratory crowd on the way back to the parking lot....wearing their viking hats.  My viking hat is still in plastic - I think I might showcase it via Atticus one day...

The mud dried on my skin and I actually had problems washing it off when I got home.  Ewww. 

I want you to feel bad for me and my poor cut up knees.  I haven't had a skinned knee since probably elementary school.

































































I believe that the Good Lord gave us a finite number of heartbeats and I'm damned if I'm going to use up mine running up and down a street.  ~ Neil Armstrong

1 comment: